Wednesday, January 25, 2006

 

Long weekend in the city of flies

We had a long weekend with Monday off because of Wellington anniversary day. The original plan was going to Wellington to see some X-games stuff but somehow I did not make it. So I spent my short-holiday in and around Palmerston North. It turned out to be a good one. We had a very international dinner with Chilean, French, German, Scottish, Irish, Belgian, Italian, an Unborn and Kiwis gathering in a Japanese restaurant lead by a women with a Dutch accent (apparently she was born and bred in Palmy…but I wouldn’t admit to be Dutch neither). We confused the hell out of her in having special diets (Gluten free, Lactose free, Vegan, shared dishes…..) but they managed somehow and the food and Sake was good.

On the next day I went with my flatmates Yvonne and Dorbert (names are altered) and some friends to see other friends playing their last gig in a vineyard near Masterton. It was bloody hot. we enjoyed having beer in the vineyard (the wine wasn’t vegan and mostly white anyway…and a cold beer is always good on a hot day).

I considered doing some gardening and realizing it was too hot for that. So I went on a mission to buy some fly strip. This would have been the advantage not to spray poisonous stuff everyday. Once trapped it should stop them mating at your head and sucking on your food. It also would prevent us to stain the wall with the inner body content of insects. I tried hard but Palmerston North was out of fly strips. Not one. Sent fly strips (und Schwarzbrot und Altbier)!! Apparently people bought it in ten packs. At least Palmerston is very popular under flies. Probably because it is so windy here that they don’t need to fly by themselves.

As I am flatting with French and live in a Celtic dominated country it was kind of unavoidable to watch “ Joyeux Noël”. I heard it should be good and I enjoyed it. At Xmas eve during the 1st World War the Scots played their pipes, the Germans, which happened to have a Opera singer in their battalion, brought some classical music and Christmas trees and after they agreed to a cease fire the French brought Coffee and Champagne. They even had a football match (which probably the Germans won in penalty shootout). It is pretty much the same in our flat. Except that I don’t like Champagne, have my own coffee, the music providers are more the French, Dorbert doesn’t play football and we don’t celebrate Christmas. But we don’t shoot at each other and quite often listen to Celtic tunes in the pub. We went off to the pub to do exactly this. First we were greet by a completely pissed Kiwi which thought my flatties were from Uruguay and I am a Kiwi. He was (a white ginger haired, Irish) Maori and wanted to say hello with a Hongi. I outed myself as not being Kiwi by giving him more a head kick. As he was drunk he didn’t mind that much. He was harmless but annoying so he was friendly asked by the usual patrons of the pub to leave get some sleep and to shut up. The way was interesting “ You shut up know and get the fuck out off here. You are pissed and annoying. Go get some sleep, leave us alone for today. I promise you if you come back tomorrow I’ll buy you a pint and we are the best mates. But know you fuck off. Come back tomorrow at 5 and I buy you a pint.” “Mmmh…Can I go to the loo before I leave then?” “Yes.” He left after (apparently visiting the women toilet) and I don’t know if he came to get his pint the next day. Inspired by his leave one patron picked up his guitar and started playing and singing. It turned out to become a long session. A wide range from traditional Irish and Scottish folk songs over Janis Joplin, Pogues, The Band, David Bowie and the unavoidable “Sweet home Alabama”. I was a bit disappointed with the performance of The Clash, but I will not complain. Dorbert did a good job in slowing the spontaneous session down by picking up the guitar not knowing what to play. He was asked for a French drinking song but couldn’t play or remember one. At this stage I was happy that I never learned an instrument and not be able to sing so nobody could expect a German drinking song from me.Suddenly P and S turned up having their fidel, flute and harmonica with them and joined in. Our “one pint” after the movie turned into six and we went home reasonably drunk. It just fitted great into the spirit of the movie we just seen before. I am terrible disappointed to be a total musical retard. I think the “Musikalische Frueherziehung” (early musical childhood education) did no good for my rock star dream. “Musikalische Frueherziehung” actually means “being forced to play Glockenspiel (carillon?) and Blockfloete (recorder flute?) with the annual highlight to perform terrible dressed in front for the whole family at Christmas”. As the repertoire you get teach is especially for the just mentioned occasion, you lose your interest after 2 Christmas and can convince your parents after 2 further Christmas. For the kids: keep playing or you will regret it later.

The next day was terrible hot. Fortunately the hang over wasn’t too bad. I could convince Yvonne to go to the beach. That was great. The water did its job. It was refreshing. It even didn’t matter that the beach was full of parked cars. Kiwi nature experience sometimes just exists out of taking the car to beach and sit in there hiding from the sun. As I got sunburned again I have a fair idea why they do it but I still do not like it.

Back home I got 115 episodes of “???” (deutsch/english)audio books. So can do at night again what I did after my “Musikalische Frueherziehung” lesson failures. Yippie yeah! And next weekend should become another very musical one as Fat Freddy Drop playing for free!!
Comments:
Great post Arne; enjoyed it heaps. Sounds like a wonderful night at the Celtic. Fat Freddy's Drop are playing free this weekend?! Where?! When?!
 
Nowhere i can see them play i bet...
:(

Want to learn some French drinking song?
Start with "C’que t’es belle" by Alexis Hk (http://www.alexishk.com).
A nice one. The chorus goes:

"C’que t’es belle quand j’ai bu,
je regrette de n’avoir pas fait d’autres abus
tellement t’es belle quand j’bois."

Have your roomie translate this for you...
;)

For more French music check out:
http://www.french-music.org
 
Yeah was a great night. If you wanna go give us a call Pete (I still need to convince D and Y as they are not too keen).
They are playing in Hutt City, I am not sure if it is Upper or Lower Hutt. I am keen to go! Unless you are already sitting in a plane to Wellington you will not make it, Kaethe. I will aske my flatties, but all French thety told me just got me into trouble.

Fat Freddys Drop:

Jackson Street, Fiesta of the Arts
28 January 06
Jackson Street, Petone
Early Evening session, FREE
 
Ta Tu Ta Ta! Here comes the Froggy!
Very quickly 'cause some people work here (hmmm). A quick translation of the drinking song:
"You so beautiful when I'm drunk,
I regret not to have committed more abuses on you,
because you're so beautiful when I drink"
Voila!
Arne, I don't like my photo...
Pete, have an awesome trip and bring plenty of beautiful photos!
See you guys later,
~Froggy~
 
Sorry bout the pic but I told you I have no nice pics of you ;-)
Beautiful lyrics. I think I experienced situations they sing about.
 
AARGHH!! I was down there yesterday (Saturday), the very day they were playing! I'd been to the Baring Head Rock Hop (Bouldering competition) and drove past Petone in the early evening on the way home. Bummer. Oh well, hope you had a great time there.

(Oh yeah, you need to fix the link to Scudy&Kimboz. You have an extra "http" in there, and you'll be horrified to see where it takes you.)
 
I've finally got further than watching the photos and read your blog...

Arne, you're so rude!! Poor Dorbert, you have to understand IT IS HARD to play in front of people (especially when they are all staring at you waiting to be inspiringly entertained!).
And one more thing:
we provide the coffee, as you regularly steal ours, the music providers are at least equally the French and German, I would say, because the French actually complain less about the music choice (at least Yvonne), Dorbert may not play football, but Yvonne do (occasionaly) and have football blood running in her veins, and we DO celebrate Xmas, and a quite interesting one: you in the Nothern Hemisphere, Have you ever tried to cook a traditional "dinde aux marrons" (stuffed turkey with chestnuts) when you want to please vegans and it's 30°C outside !?!?
Voilà, that was my intervention of the day. If you keep writing as you do (and as you are), I promise there'll be other ones.

Bisous,
DO, (oh shit) Yv.
 
Yeah I understand that it is hard to play in front of people. Thats why I said I was happy not be asked and not being able to play anything. I think we are pretty even with coffee...but I don't wanna start a war about that. And I did mention you in connection with the football, as I know that your family is involved in saving the future of the Equiqe Tricolore (which is probably spelled completly different).
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]