Tuesday, February 07, 2006

 

Water

I am not crazy. A week before Xmas I noticed the water smells funny and taste disgusting. Not that the tap water in Palmy is usually a pleasure to drink as it has the chlorine aroma known from swimming pools. But this time it was tasting earthy and moldy. I asked my flatties which couldn’t confirm it. So I thought that’s it. I am over 30 old and getting crazy. “They wanna poison me! It must be aliens or the FBI” (actually its probably Coke). I tried not to mention it anymore. Just in case they really think I am crazy and sent me to the next Sanatorium where I have to live with 3 Jesuses (is there a plural of Jesus?) and 2 Napoleons for the rest of my life. And I went away on holiday for 2 weeks so I did not taste the water.

When I came back it was worse. Not only that. Other people went crazy as well. Yvonne started to taste it as well and a few others. As that were to many people to be crazy it must be the water. And finally, one month after I thought the water is more odd than usually I got the official confirmation “ I am not crazy”. It came in form of the headlines “Moldy taste makes citizens paying bottles water” and ”City battling toxic algae threat”. In the first article they said “ we don’t know what is causing it but the drinking water is safe”. ????? The first thing they did was to filter out the muddy taste. It doesn’t smell that bad anymore, just normal bad as before. But if I could smell it before Xmas what did the people do who are responsible to look after it between Xmas and last week? Holidays?? Probably.

As we know the drinking water is becoming a worldwide shortage problem. Nobody of us does really care as we think we can use the water from the tap. But did you notice that Coke, Nestle and a few other companies already own the bottled water market? Here in New Zealand (bottled) water is more expensive than petrol. Everybody is complaining about the high petrol prices but nobody seems to care about the water. And they hide it. Coke is selling water under the names “pump” and “Kiwi Blue” (pretending to be local). Sometimes they try harder as seen in “The Corporation” where a company even owned the rain water in Mexico (? not sure where exactly it was. Watch the movie). Anyway beside of maybe getting paranoid. I enjoyed the water at the beach this weekend! More about it when I have more time. But check out Yvonnes

size compared to the wave!

PS: Check out the vegan cookbook (Links). No excuses not to invite me for dinner anymore! ;-)



Comments:
...genau "Schwelmo", bin da ganz deiner Meinung.
Gut geschrieben / beschrieben.
Ist doch einfach unglaublich; hatte zu diesem Thema mit meine Mitbewohner angesprochen:
"Ist um diese Zeit immer so..."
Wahnsinn diese Gleichgueltigkeit. Na ja, was solls. NZ, ein Land der Landwirte und deren Nachkommen und die koennen anscheinend so einiges ab.
 
at least they start to talk about it
See: http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/manawatustandard/0,2106,3564675a6504,00.html
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]