Monday, April 24, 2006

 

Old men and pot

We had another great football game. We lost only 0:3 but as we had only ONE shot at their goal it felt like we lost 6:0, what I actually thought we did until somebody told me better. At least it was sunny. So sunny, that I got sunburned, which actually doesn’t mean much here. We played against the Military team in Linton and I thought we would play against a group of very fit young fellows. To my surprise and relief they weren’t and actually asked us if we could play with flying subs as they weren’t in shape. Well, more than us obviously. The other great relief was that I didn’t had to sign anything to get into the base, so they couldn’t trick me and send me to the Solomon islands or Afghanistan.
Last week I found out that in Wellington with “The Specials” and “The Skatalites” two Ska legends were playing in one week. Wow, first it takes “The Skatalites” 42 years to come to New Zealand and then they play in the same week as “The Specials”. So after the football match I went to Wellington to see “The Skatalites” in concert. I mean who wouldn’t take the chance to see a legend live in action especially if it means you GET OUT OF PALMY. As I found out: beside me nobody, so I went tired and dehydrated and put down with the lack of enthusiasm of others alone to Wellington. I first was worried not to get a ticket but then I remembered,…”I am in New Zealand. As long as it isn’t a Rod Stewart concert or somebody else who was married to a Kiwi you will be save.” And I was. But only because I was early because at the time “The Skatalites” went on stage it was packed. Even half of the band was at least in their end-sixties they play for 2.5 h. Seeing them you could have been thinking that smoking weed all your life keeps you fit and active even in your seventies (maybe that was the only thing what kept them going for 2.5 h…being lost in the room time continuum). Just before I sadly witnessed that smoking weed actually does not keep you active. I was talking to some guys and a beautiful girl outside over a beer and cigarette. When I told them I live in Palmy since 3 years everybody felt sorry but not sorry enough to buy me a beer…you have to live in Levin for that. But they offered me a cigarette and I said no thanks as I just lit one of my own. OK, I was tired and realized 10 seconds starring in their faces that they actually smoked a herbal one (which I like even less than herbal tea). They girl was saying how pissed off she was that she missed “The Specials” the Wednesday before and how happy she was to see “The Skatalites” today. Then she said ”I feel kind of faint”, her knees could not hold her weight anymore and she fall down (in her friends arms). Her friend took her home and 2 minutes later “The Skatalites” started! Poor girl missed out on the Skatalites as well....
As a difference to other NZ concerts everybody was dancing. Number
34595 of the Batacuda samba group was there as well. Unfortunately her face was not as impressive as her body so I danced behind her. It was a great gig, except for their cover of “The Rivers of Babylon” which is one of the (personally) most hated songs in music history (about one level with “Happy Birthday” from Stevie Wonder). Back home I tried to play a bit bass guitar (even after not much sleep as I shared a dorm with some young “Kiwi experience” traveling English pissheads) as I have seen I still could play on stage when I am old.


Comments:
I missed the Skatalites in Melbourne a week ago because I was sick! 2,5 h thats bloody fantastic for a bunch of old men. And I´ve noone went to Wellington for that (or better out of Palmy) I would have joined you for sure bro! The beer would be negotiable. But if you good and practise bass playing you might become a rock star and leave Palmy! Thats an option isn´t it? I´ve not you´re still welcome here. The sheep don´t look that pretty though ;-)

Dorit
 
Yeah they were fantastic you shouldn't have missing out the Melbourne gig. I didn't really get what they said most of the time as I couldn't understand the thick Jamaican accent (oder wars nur bekifftes Gebrabbel??!).
Be in Oz (Cairns) end of August..migt do a loop over Melbourne if you are there. Let ya know.
And stop stabbing fairys .. there are not many left!!
 
Not again! I was looking after a house over at Eastbourne (other side of Wellington Harbour) this weekend... So, I missed Fat Freddy's Drop, and now ... who were these people. The Skatellites? Is that skat as in scat? Like the stuff one of the cats left on the floor of the place I was minding, and which I had to clean up? Ok, just teasing... But I reckon you owe me a Guinness for not letting me know they were playing. I drove down there on Friday, too — I could've given you a lift.
;^P
 
Sorry Pete didn'tknow you might be interested. As all people I thougth might be interested were not I thought it didn't made much sense to ask more. Anyway, the downside is that it had cost me shitloads of money and I reckon until the next pay day I need to survive on the charity of others in the pub ;-)
 
No worries, Arne. Might see you tonight at the trivia, where we can compete for the charity of others ;^P
 
Cool, yeah come round in August, I´ll be here most likely and I´ll show you the cool venues in town and the best places for vegan food and beer. National flight in Australia are cheap as anyway so maybe I should go to Cairns for a bit of shark swimming and UV tanning, as 2 of my mates jsut moved up there. Let me know bro..

Dorit
 
Good point, Arne!
As some other man, who unfortunately never reached his end-sixties, once postulated:
"It's good for the flu
It's good for asthma
Good for tuberculosis
Even umara composis"

The only reason you hate "rivers of babylon" so much is the fact that Boney Fuckin' M. made it such a stupid phony disco song, am i right? Did you know that the original was recorded in 1972 by "The Melodians", another Ska-Legend?
Even though i understand what you say about "happy birthday" i really admire Stevie Wonder, he's a genius! Listen to "Jammin'" if you get a chance and you'll know what i mean...

Anyway, i would have loved to see the Skatalites - same old distance problem...

P.S.: What the hell is umara composis?
 
Kaethe you are definitely right that Boney Fuckin' M. did the song not much of a favour, but I don't like the Melodians or the Sublime version neither. I don't know what Umara Composis is but I guess Boney M. suffered a lot from it. I do like Steve Wonder as long as he doesn't sing "Happy Birthday" (even if he personally would sing it just for me).
@ Andrea: As it took them 42 years this time I do not know if you have another chance. But we might be able to see them in Europe somewhere.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]