Saturday, July 15, 2006

 

Final Comment

The World Cup is over. We got an honorable (but pointless) 3rd place and somehow Italy got the cup. I am happy for all the nice Italian football fans but I don’t like Italy to be the world champ. Fortunately for Italy it is not about what I like. ;-)

For me Italy doesn’t play nice football, but hey I am German and I can’t say that we pleased the world in the last decades with good football. If its true that Materrazi said Zidanes mother and/or sister is a terrorist hure, he should be suspended. But we will never find out, I guess. In his defense he said “I am an ignorant, I even don’t know what a terrorist is.” Maybe, he should be suspended for half a year and send back to school. But nowadays it is very depending from your point of view to define a terrorist, so he actually might have said something very wise and true. What I dislike most is that the Italian team also played for people like Paolo DiCanio (who I really like to play with in the PlayStation game, but only because he doesn’t do his fascist greet after every goal I score with him), Silvio Berlusconi (well, what should I say) and Calderoli, former institutional reform minister in the government of ex-president Silvio Berlusconi, who described the French national team as "blacks, Islamists and communists" (which actually is not really an insult for itself), and his apologies sounded like:

"When I say that France's team is composed of blacks, Islamists and communists, I am saying an objective and evident thing."

"France is a multiethnic nation, given its colonial past, of which I would not be proud," he said.

"It's not my fault if certain people were puzzled to see a team which lined up seven blacks out of 11 players... and if certain players prefer Mecca to Bethlehem."

He hailed Italy's defeat of France in the World Cup final as "a victory for Italian identity". Italy won against "a France team which sacrificed its own identity by lining up blacks, Islamists and communists to get results."

If somebody out of Germany had said something similar you would read it on the top page on every newspaper of the world for the next 3 weeks.

Anyway I am glad for Scudy and Kimboz and every other Italian who thinks different. I think Zidane did a stupid, but as usually technical perfect, headkick and led Italy to their 4th World Cup win. There would have been better ways to revenge insults (maybe at least wait until the game is over ;-)).

The other things I took from the World Cup: African teams need goalies and forwards. England and Swiss were competing for the penalty incompetence with a win for England as they are able to repeat this art again and again. The Asian teams were all disappointing as well as Brazil. But then again, Brazil is a mythos mainly made by Nike…I think.

Germany tried to play football. That was refreshing and hopefully we keep it this way. But we should be careful not to do it like the Dutch and Spanish, playing nice and never win anything.

That’s enough World Cup for the next 4 years! Looking forward to the European Cup…might get tickets this time.

Comments:
Sensible summary of the cup and its side issues. I agree with most of what you said.
And you're right, i feel as well it's enough talking of soccer. I feel i'm starting to induce signs of disinterest among people. i'm going to miss it, though.

Enjoy the rest of your holidays ; >

Do
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]