Saturday, September 23, 2006

 

Spinach and nothing


I am happy not to live in the states. For a lot of reasons. I think there are actually quite a few reasons, why it could be fun to live in the States. At least for a white, non-moslem with a interest in rock music, who is also a vegan. It doesn’t need to be Texas. But right now the US facing a epidemic. There is a fear of spinach, prepacked and looking healthy, but it might be deadly. Poeple die because of eating spinach (Somehow I think it is funny). The spinach is full of E. coli O157:H7. This is a nasty bug. It makes you shitting blood and causes liver failure. Popeye wouldn’t be able to take a fight after eating some of this, I guess (but he wasn’t eating fresh spinach, instead it came out of a can. Have you ever seen spinach in cans?? Its bad enough they do it to beer.). Anyway now you shouldn’t eat spinach in the US. But the very interesting thing is E. coli O157:H7 is a bacteria living in the guts of animals. The main problem with it until now was contamination of meat, undercooked mince etc. If you were unlucky you could get it even as a vegetarien from handshaking with your meat eating friend (not washing his/her hands) or using MacDonalds toilets. Eric Schlosser tells a very interesting story about O157:H7 and the meat industry in “Fast Food Nation” (recommended read, but for people to lazy, they just made a movie out of it). So how did it get onto spinach? I haven’t heard anything about that, but I suggest using pee and poo from animals to fertilize the spinach fields has something to do with it. Or it comes from the flooding of ..maybe New Orleans, I am sure they still haven’t cleaned it up. Anyway, dear meat eater, eat what you want but don’t mess up our food as well. Please!

Meanwhile in New Zealand:

A study showed 1 in 5 New Zealanders has some sort of mental illness. That actually did not surprise me. There are quite a few people I know of how taking anti-depressives and similar things. I would like to know the figures of other countries. Not really mentally straight are the doings of New Zealand politics. First Don Brash (National Party leader and conservative Sexgott) got blamed of having an affair with a business women, who benefits from some funding, tax money, I don’t know. It shouldn’t be surprising that conservatives have a closer relation to the business world than others. And they might even sleep with them. So be it! That’s what you do if you like each other (at least sometimes). Well, to fight back the National Party (not officially I think) accused Helen Clarks husband to be gay. Well, who cares? Does it matter for the country? Is it maybe even better if the prime minister doesn’t get distracted when she comes home and can concentrate on her work? Anyway, being gay is apparently the heaviest insult you can get in New Zealand. …. Grow up!

Me personally haven’t been up to any exciting things. On Thursday we tried to go to a different pub than the Winchester. Everything else was empty, had crappy beer, was closed or you didn’t get in with a hoodie (apparently it defines you as a gang member). So we ended up at the Winchester. We tried hard not to. Then I realized …I need to get out of Palmy, quick and more often. And I need to get l..d. but that I knew before. Tonight I will go to see Shapeshifter, a NZ electronic music band. You see how desperate I am….?? Tomorrow there will be a Handball mini-tournament. So that is finally a weekend being different. I am looking forward to it . And the sun is coming out… oh no its gone…there she is..was …again. Here she comes… or not it is raining … and windy…but sunny.
Comments:
Hey Schwelmo,
...wassn' wirklich los?
Ist doch nicht notwendig sich ueber Kinkerlitzchen Gedanken zu machen und darueber so viele Worte zu verlieren; oder?
Ist es nun soweit das der Spruch der Bremer Stadtmusikanten auch fuer dich einen Sinn / eine Bedeutung bekommt?
Gruss,
W.
 
Nothing Will, Just really tired of being in Palmy!
 
Don't know what Will said, but anyway, this was a great post. At the risk of offending you, it actually contained a great deal of good old Kiwi down-to-earth sense. The kiwis I know feel pretty much the same about our politics: it's a pity the politicians don't understand that. Actually, I think some of them do, but they still act like... well, they act like that...

Sorry I couldn't photograph your handball matches. I was in the Ruahine, having a marvellous time. It's a bummer, but someone has to do it.

See you in the Winchester :^)
 
...so what stops you from moving on?
 
Commitments, Will!
 
Aber im Amiland gibts wenigstens so coole sachen wie Traubenlimonade, Schokoladenlimonade und hand sanitizer ^_^
Grüßle
 
Acceptance commitments?
Contractual commitments?
Or the partys, like Tonys birthday on the following weekend?
W.
 
@Willhelm: Commitments I made with myself. I wanna earn the fungi-doc title you already give me. ;-) Und feiern hilft, but wouldn't call it a commitment.

@Schnina: Schokoladenlimonade klingt weird. Ich weiss nicht ob das mein Ding waer. Aber in den Staaten gibts die NBA, den Grand Canyon, Cowboys und Indianer, ein Johnny Ramone Denkmal, die NHL....und in Alaska sogar Altbier. Aber das begeistert die Koeln-Bonner ja nicht so.

@Pete: Not offended bein g down to earth, even I am not sure if that is true though. Anyway, I feel sorry that you had to have the good time at the Ruahine and not me. But I had a good time as well getting smashed in our games against Wellington. It's probably more at Toni's than at the Winchester.
 
@ Dan: Mostly that The Empty Vessel is really Empty on Thursdays ( and on the weekend I only see teenager puking in front of the door)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]