Wednesday, February 14, 2007

 

under pressure

I should admit that I am not a woman. That means three things:

I am more hairy. I can’t get pregnant. I can’t do two things at once.

Today I tried the latter. I need to write my stupid thesis. So I stayed home to write as I had to eat I decided to cook something as well. A thought a chickpea curry would be nice. And my new place has a pressure cooker. Beautiful, I thought. I can cook the chickpeas in there and they should be ready in 30 min for further use. I filled 4 cups dried chickpeas into the pressure cooker and added sufficient water. When I looked at the lid it said something like “before use refer to the manual”. At least I think, because it was in French. The language of love and something I do not speak. “Ah, fuck it. I used a pot before. And anyway stupid French.”

I closed the lid, turned on the heat and went back to writing. And lost track of time (can you believe that , I was writing). I smelled something burned after a while. I ignored it but jumped started into the kitchen 2 minutes later where I was greeted by a black/brownish liquid coming out of the ventil. “Wow, I created oil out of chickpeas! I a gonna be rich!” Then I remembered: oil is out of animal sediment (is driving a car vegan?). Plants make coal. And that what I found later in the bottom of the pot.

I am sure the manual would have said “reduce the heat when water is cooking”. Well, enough water was still in there as it kept coming out brown, smelly and sticky. I took the pot outside to release the pressure (took 5 min). The next 2h I spend cleaning and sorted out the burned from the non-burned chickpeas. I had toast for tea…

If somebody wants to know, burned chickpeas in a pressure cooker taste like roasted chestnuts. But I would not recommend repeating that experiment. Buying chestnuts directly is probably much cheaper than a pressure cooker.
Comments:
:-) Fortunately, I did not have that pleasure yet!
 
haha...hilarious.. i can´t believe that you still tried to eat your chickpeas. you´re a really though man (have to tell shivi that). and its not true that you can´t two things at once: i saw in melbourne you could drink beer and stare at my flatmates butt, and pretend not too ALL at the same time.
 
oh that was me

dozza
 
Isn't there some process where you can make oil (or something for burning in cars anyway) out of coal? That was one of the reasons giving for digging up some of the conservation land on the west coast to get the coal out.

So now you can make coal out of chickpeas and oil out of the coal. Or you could burn the chickpeas directly and have a steam powered car. (Is growing, then burning chickpeas carbon neutral?)
 
Hey, Dorit. I was only able to do that because there was some female magic involved. I am sure you flatmate made it possible that I could look at her but and drink beer.
Thank her!
Those chickpeas gave me duennschiss!

@Dion: As I put so much energy int burning the stuff in the pot that I destroyed it metal base I doubt it would be an energie efficent way to create oil...guess it would be carbon neutral at all
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]