Friday, December 08, 2006

 

Another vegan blurb

I know I, I know. I didn’t sound very positive lately. But I started to think that thing gonna get better. Honestly, I mean on a world wide scale. Ok the US declared war on terror made the world a more dangerous place and operation Iraqi Freedom turned into a total disaster. But at least the American public changed and even George Doubleevil Bush had to admit he was wrong. One day he might even say " I am sorry!", after he starts drinking again.The same happened with climate change. While there was a denial over the last decades, everybody seems to agree know that it is happened. It is not positive that we are drifting into a big mess, but at least people are aware now, can get prepared and do something about it to make it less dramatic. Yay!

And something else changed. 2 years ago I went to a book shop to look for a vegan cookbook. What happened was that I first had to explain the people what vegan is and then had to spell it. Ok that was maybe partly due to my pronunciation. Anyway, they couldn’t find any in their computer. That meant, there wasn’t even one in stock somewhere in NZ. I ended up to find a book which was called “Vegetarian Cooking without fish, dairy and gluten”. I found it in the health section. They use eggs in their recipies (but say you can replace them with egg-replacer (very logical to repace eggs with egg replacer, don’t you use milk replacer if you wanna replace eggs). So it actually was a vegan cookbook, but as nobody knew what it was they had to sell it as “Vegetarian Cooking without..”. Anyway, as I am a proud non-owner of a credit card (the truth: I don’t get one not being a PR) I couldn’t even order some in the internet. I went to the same bookshop, 22 months later and I found 3 different vegan cookbooks (I bought “How it allVegan” and “Vegan with a Vengeance”) , plus a lot of vegetarian ones with particular vegan options. Yay, the world seems to move in a right direction. Then I realized I am mainstream! I can see myself defending myself against “you are only vegan because it’s fashionable”. But hey that means I can go out for dinner soon and order a vegan food everywhere, just like you get vegetarian options now. And tattoos are fashionable as well…

Labels:


Comments:
Hey Arne, greetings from the foothills of the Himalaya. I hope your stress levels are coming down; I don't think you'd find it much easier here unless you enjoy the continuous pressure of people everywhere! But except for one small cube of chicken which I tried because a friend had ordered chicken tikka, I haven't eaten meat in 6 weeks. I won't eat chicken here, after seeing how they're treated...

Still looking for good vegan recipes for you, but it's harder than you might think. Most of the food has a definite "sameness" to it, but perhaps when I move to a different region I'll have more luck. Possibly the best was a very simple dish called paneer tikka; paneer is a soft cheese, but tofu would work well. It might be the only way to make tofu edible! The cubes of paneer were coated with what seemed to be a curry powder, and fried along with sections of vegetables (onion, etc). Do it carefully and thoroughly blot away the excess oil/ghee. You might find it not particularly exceptional, but compared with most of what I've been eating it was delicious.

Oh, and the roti ("breads", like chapattis, naan, parantha, etc.) are great.

Cheers Arne, hang in there.
Pete
 
I had the paneer tikka yesterday evening; it was a bit oilier because I can't speak Hindi to tell the guy to blot the oil off as soon as it's cooked, but it was still good. The veges were onion, green capsicum, and tomato (all chopped into chunks).
 
Hey, Ozzy sad, the way to be cool nowadays is NOT to have a tatoo!!!!
 
hey arne hows the writing up and jobhunt ( in melbourne of course) goin?

dorit, the ostrich
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]